- Defending NCAA champion and preseason No. 2 Oklahoma losing its first two games of the season, to Kentucky and Cal State Fullerton.
- No. 4 Florida scoring a stunning come-from-behind victory over No. 5 Michigan. As shown in the play-by-play sheet (under the box score), the Gators were down to their final out in the top of the seventh, with one runner on base and trailing 4-0. However, Florida then put together three hits, a hit-batter, a walk, and another hit to tie the game 4-4. After the Wolverines failed to score in their half of the seventh, the teams went to extra innings, where UF scored five times in the top of the eighth. UM went quietly in the bottom half, giving the Gators a 9-4 win.
- No. 8 Oregon losing to Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo)
- No. 9 Nebraska and No. 15 Florida State splitting a pair.
- No. 10 Texas losing to Northern Iowa and Purdue.
Sunday, February 09, 2014
How Leading Teams Did -- Week 1
The National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) has put out this document, showing how all of the nation's leading teams did in their games from February 3-9. Summaries are available for all teams in the USA Today/NFCA Top 25, plus all teams that received votes in the poll but didn't make the Top 25. I assume the NFCA will do this every week, so interested readers might want to check the NFCA website every Sunday night. Here are some noteworthy results from this weekend's play: